Friday, September 24, 2010

Garden Stools

Do you ever see something that you want for your home and can't get it out of you head until you get it? Even if that something cost more money than it should and you know that your husband would really be angry if you brought home a $200 (insert your own coveted item here) that had no value other than to look pretty!? That's how I was this summer about garden stools like these:






and these:








I just love the way they look in rooms like these:
















So, being the thrifty person that I am, I just knew I could find the look for less! The hunt began......online, in thrift stores, department stores, antique stores, where oh where could I find a garden stool within my budget (I really did not want to pay more than $50)? Was it an impossible dream? Then one day I saw an advertisement for Big Lots and there they were - for $20!! I raced over to our local Big Lots store, ran over the the manager and asked "Do you still have the garden stools in the ad?" Have you ever been looked at like you have just grown a horn out of you head? It was one of those moments. I said, "You don't know what a garden stool is, do you?" He just looked at me and shook his head. After volunteering to go into the back with his staff to search the place, we finally came to the conclusion that this Big Lots did not have them. Nor did any of the stores in the midlands of South Carolina, or anywhere in the state for that matter. Disappointed, but not defeated, I quietly resolved to stop the frantic search, but just keep my eyes open. And boy did it pay off!! A few weeks ago I was strolling through Tuesday Morning (treasures are just waiting to be found in this place, people!) and what to my wondering eyes did appear........this garden stool!!!!






Now, was it exactly what I was looking for? No! I really had a solid color in mind. But, at $40, that was nothing that a little spray paint couldn't take care of! It was mine for the taking! I snagged it, brought it home , painted it bronze, and it now sits in my foyer like this:





Isn't she a beaut!? Mission accomplished!!






3 comments:

  1. Cathy, I love love love love your blog and am soooooooo impressed. It is faaaaaaaaaabulous. You would NOT believe that but I was just thinking this morning that I really, really, really want to start a blog but dont know where to begin !! I really enjoyed reading this. And I love the name of your blog. Also love your Bio... Did I tell you that I have started a shop on etsy for the same reason...to share my creative outlets since I really miss that part of my old life. I mean....I love my new life too :) Anyway.....my etsy shop is....www.sitandsingvintage.etsy.com and let me know if you are looking for something in particular. I sometimes go to 3 auctions / estate sales a week and MAN do I see a lot. This absolutely may have been TMI for your blog....but I was soo excited to see it...couldnt stop myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theresa, thank you for the sweet comments! I will definitely check out your etsy shop and perhaps tell people about it on my blog:) Love you!!

    ReplyDelete